As technologies advance, medical devices require increasingly precise components made from a wide range of materials. It is important to choose a medical manufacturer that is dedicated to continuous improvement to ensure that they possess the capabilities you need now and in the future.
At Buell Automatics, our CNC medical machining capabilities combine precision, reliability, and quality ensure that we produce parts that meet or exceed specifications. We can handle designs of any complexity and we continually expand our fleet of CNC machining equipment to expand our capabilities. We currently run Citizen Swiss Turning machines and Miyano BNA-42MSY machines to provide extremely precise machining that can handle the complexity and tight tolerances required for medical manufacturing.
Types of Machined Parts for the Medical Industry
The medical sector relies on CNC machining to produce an expansive range of parts, components, and tools. A few common examples include surgical support equipment, medical/ventilator pumps, prosthetic components, sockets, locks, adapters and locking screws. Other common CNC-machined components for used in medical applications include:
- Flow regulator components
- Flow valve and pump components
- Pressure control parts
- Special connectors/bushings
- Valve spindles/stems
- Instrumentation fittings
- Medical/syringe connectors
- Piston rods
Medical Grade Equipment Used
Medical devices often require the use of medical-grade stainless steel, PEEK, and more. At Buell Automatics, we work with a variety of standard and specialized materials for medical manufacturing, such as:
- 17-4 stainless steel. 17-4 stainless steel is valued for its hygienic properties, durability, and high level of corrosion resistance. It is commonly used to fabricate surgical tools.
- 300-series stainless steel. The 300 series contains grades such as 316L, which features high corrosion resistance and excellent biocompatibility that is well-suited for use in biomedical implants. 300 series stainless steel is also used in a variety of pharmaceutical manufacturing machinery due to its low contamination potential.
- 400 series stainless steel. While these steels feature a lower corrosion resistance than 300 series stainless steel, the high carbon content of 400 series stainless steels are heat treatable and make them ideal for manufacturing surgical cutting tools.
- Brass. Brass has antimicrobial properties that make it a popular choice for various surgical components and tools used in the medical sector. Brass is an affordable choice for many applications since it is readily available and easily sourced.
- Aluminum. Aluminum is affordable, lightweight and readily available. It also features decent biocompatibility. While not typically used for implants, this material is commonly found in instruments such as stethoscopes, syringes and surgical tools. It is also the most popular metal choice for common medical implements.
Aside from our precision CNC machining capabilities, we also offer a variety of in-house finishing options:
- Heat treatment
- Laser marking
Choose Buell Automation for Precision Medical Components
At Buell Automatics, we have been designing and manufacturing precision goods since 1966. We are a family-owned business that has emerged as a leader in precision CNC machining. Our highly skilled team is well-equipped to meet the challenges of any medical manufacturing project.
If you would like to learn more about precision CNC machining for medical components, please request a quote today.